Friday, September 18, 2009

Quick Fic: Magic Dialogue

"Tia..." Greene began, "how does your magic work...? What makes you different from me...?"

"Well, to be honest, Greene... most of it works off just sheer, barefaced will," Cadenza said, chuckling as she added, "in other words, my strength is my stubbornness. I've got to demand it to work, or to exist, want it so badly that I pour all the energy I can spare into bullying whatever spell it is to work. Coax it, coerce it. It's harder the first time I do a spell... and you know like that songs says, 'You can't always get what you want.' It won't always work. Sure, it's focused magic, it's controlled magic... but it's limited magic. That's why... sometimes I need one of you dreamers. Those people who've got that creativity... that purity, that belief, that innocence I haven't.

"You can make life, wish it into being, hope, imagine... and it comes true. You have faith in things like miracles that I just don't buy--not when I've seen far too many people hurtin' for one and had their prayers, their pleas, and their cries go ignored. Instead, I've just got that want, that motivation to help 'em... help them in a realistic, immediate, practical kind of way... 'cause I'm too rooted down to earth to dream those big magical dreams you do... so keep on dreamin', Greenie. The world needs people like you."